Thursday, July 31, 2008

Stories

If there's one thing Newfoundland has a lot of (besides fish, rocks and flies) it's stories.
I discovered a few while I was there this summer and if I can recall them all I will recount them here.
When I first arrived I was met by some family members there I hadn't seen in a very long time. As it was early July, I was told of the story of Beaumont-Hamel. Most Canadians think of July 1st as Canada day. Now I've never been terribly patriotic about Canada, although I have always been proud of my Newfoundland heritage. It seems that while July 1st is the anniversary of the British North America Act (and therefore the first confederation), as a half-Newfoundlander, there is a more poignant story attached to that date.
On July 1, 1916, around 800 Newfoundlanders were involved in a battle at Beaumont-Hamel. 68 answered roll-call the next day. I've heard it said that Newfoundland lost a quarter of its men during the Great War. As a result, on July 1st, many Newfoundlanders wear a forget-me-not until noon and then a poppy after in rememberance of the loss of their countrymen.
If you're interested in learning more about the attack at Beaumont-Hamel, click here.
For now, I have more stories to remember and vacuuming to do.

No comments: